Friday, August 1, 2008

New Area for a Flower Garden

by: Anne Haynes

With the new purchase of my home and spending my first spring and summer in my yard. I figure it would be good to document what the flower beds look like now and then figure out what I need to do with them to prepare for a good spring in 2009. Since I'm new to gardening I need help with picking the right flowers to plant in right areas. My uncle Jim Haynes is one of the best gardeners I've ever seen and while I can learn allot from him, he lives in Sandpoint, ID so I'm hoping he visits my blog and helps me with my adventure. Maybe he will even send me some pictures of his garden!


The first place I'm targeting is the front yard landscaping that I inherited when I purchased the house. I've recently pulled some plants that look more like filler than blooming flowers. My goal is to plan flowers that I can pick in the spring and summer to make arrangements. This is a picture of the first area I'm targeting.

This area gets minimal sun and I'd like to have a Lilli garden. I love white and tiger Lillis so I think this area will be a good area to target.

The next area I am targeting is the walk way going towards my front door. This area gets some morning sun, but has shade in the afternoon.

In this area there seems to be something eating at the leaves of these plants, so I'm going to need to treat the area before I plant any flowers. But what flower arrangement flowers can double as a pretty walkway plant and a pick able flower?

I'm still trying to figure all of this out, so please if anyone has any suggestions the help would be great.

2 comments:

Douglas Bennett said...

Most likely the things eating your plants are Aphids. We have had issues in this area before with them, I use some different Ortho products designed for Aphids to reduce the damage caused by them.

Anne Haynes said...

Doug - thank you SOOO much! I will be researching Aphids and testing out treatments.